Well, today is Earth Day – are you doing your part to make the world a little greener? Of course, while we pay special attention to it today we should always be paying attention to the things we do and the way they affect the earth. Now’s the perfect chance to get out and help clean up your community as well, with many planning events so that you can take part. Just as a little side note to those in my area – you can take part in the Burlington Green Clean Up Green Up event on Saturday, April 26th and again on May 31st – you can find out more information here!
Anyways, I decided to share an Earth Day inspired post for you today – a DIY Brightening Facial Scrub. You can easily make this at home using just a few ingredients for skin that is smoother and brighter. Not only that, but you can store it in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks so you can get multiple uses out of it. I also want to mention that you can definitely swap out some of the ingredients to tailor this scrub to your needs. Try different types of sugars/salts, oils and fruits to find the perfect combination for you.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (I went with brown sugar because it is the most gentle on the skin while still providing excellent exfoliation)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (jam-packed with moisture and antioxidants)
- Handful of strawberries, finely chopped (helps to brighten and even out the skin tone)
- Combine the brown sugar and coconut oil until blended together
- Add in the fruit and “mash” into the sugar and coconut mixture to blend together and mix in the juices
- Transfer the mixture to a resealable container – I found great ones at the dollar store – and store in the fridge to keep it fresh
- When you want to use the scrub, grab a scoop and rub into your skin. Don’t use too much pressure – you want to slough off the dead skin, but don’t want to irritate your face
Have you ever tried a DIY facial scrub before? Let me know if you give this a try. I would love to hear how it worked for you and the different variations you try!